eLC Completes Lectora Training for Smart Communications Inc, a leading mobile telco in the Philippines

15th August 2005

eLC, a leading eLearning service provider in Singapore with core competencies in customised eLearning content development and solutions to enable organisations to develop and deploy their own "e" content, has just completed a 3-day Lectora training workshop in Manila, Philippines, for Smart Communications Inc.

Targeted at Smart´s trainers and courseware developers, eLC consultants covered the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced features of Lectora Professional Publishing Suite, arguably the easiest-to-learn and easiest-to-use eLearning content authoring tool in the market today.

"This is my second time in the Philippines, but my first time providing Lectora training here," reported Eugene Ng, eLC Consultant. "It feels more fun this time round, probably because we and the participants had so much fun creating interactive content with Lectora."

Added eLC Co-CEO & CLO, Benson Soong: "Lectora is truly gaining popularity in South-East-Asia as the authoring tool of choice by end-users such as subject-matter-experts and corporate trainers. We have been involved in Lectora training since 2003, and have trained over 1,000 people from countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, and Indonesia. Based on this latest evaluation feedback survey, all of Smart´s participants rated our workshop materials as just right, simple and easy to understand, and everyone rated the duration of our workshop as good - well paced. More than 76% of the participants rated our ability to explain the topics and concepts as Excellent, while the remaining 24% rated that ability as Good."

Here are some comments from the participants:

  • "I thought it would take a while for me to understand the whole course. But it was not that difficult. Good Work!"
  • "Great structured course from the handout to the book to the module delivery. I just can´t believe we have covered a book in just one day and still feel great at the end of the course. I just hope we could still seek immediate assistance when we encounter problems in the features. Great Work!"
  • Contact information:
    For more information on Lectora, please contact

    For more information on Smart Communications Inc, please visit